Advantages of Fotona Laser Peri-implantitis Treatment:
- Minimally-invasive technique
- No thermal damage to the surrounding bone
- Fast regeneration/healing
- Reduced inflammatory response
- Greater long-term implant success
- Digitally controlled handpiece technology for unmatched levels of precision
How does Laser Peri-implantitis and Peri-mucositis Treatment Work?
The ideal management of peri-implant diseases focuses on infection control, detoxification of implant surfaces, regeneration of lost tissues, and plaque-control regimens. The Er:YAG laser is used to remove microbial composition on the implant without damaging it and to treat the damaged alveolar bone around the implant. Following Er:YAG treatment, the Nd:YAG or an appropriate diode laser wavelength is used for bacterial reduction and biostimulation. Laser treatment is suitable both for peri-implant mucositis and peri-implantitis (see video below).
What are Peri-implant Diseases?
Peri-implantitis is a destructive inflammatory process affecting the soft and hard tissues surrounding dental implants. The soft tissues become inflamed whereas the alveolar bone (hard tissue), which surrounds the implant, is lost over time. The bone loss involved in peri-implantitis differentiates this condition from peri-mucositis, a reversible inflammatory reaction involving only the soft tissues around the implant.
* Meijer et at. Incidence of peri-implant mucositis and periimplantitis in edentulous patients with an implant-retained mandibular overdenture during a 10-year follow-up period. J Clin Periodontology. 2014 Dec: 41 (12): 1178-83.
Peri-implantitis and Peri-mucositis Treatment can be performed with the following Fotona laser systems:
- LightWalker® is a uniquely capable system offering the power of the industry's highest performance Er:YAG and Nd:YAG dental lasers for expanded TwinLight dual-wavelength treatment options.
- SkyPulse® is a new generation of compact & portable Fotona dental lasers that can be tailored for each individual dental practice. The SkyPulse® Versa is equipped with a 2940 nm Er:YAG laser to provide a wide range of effective and safe treatment options (both soft and hard tissue), which can be further expanded with different diode module wavelengths.
LightWalker TwinLight® Peri-implantitis Treatment
Step 1: The Er:YAG laser is used to selectively remove granulation tissue from the alveolar bone and connective tissue. The bactericidal effect of Er:YAG on the surgical site is highly effective and the implant surface is completely cleaned without chemicals. Because the Er:YAG wavelength with LightWalker® is used in an optimal mode, there is no danger of thermal damage to the surrounding bone and no significant alterations of the implant surface, as is caused with other lasers.
Step 2: Nd:YAG treatment promotes faster healing by decontaminating and biostimulating the tissue. Inflammation, swelling, and bleeding of soft-tissue lesions, which may lead to bone loss, can be handled without surgery, and healthy peri-implant tissue assures greater long-term implant success.
SkyPulse® Er:YAG+diode Peri-implantitis Treatment
Step 1: The Er:YAG wavelength is used to remove granulated diseased tissue around the implant and to allow implant cleaning. There is no mechanical, chemical or any other means of trauma during the entire treatment.
Step 2: The appropriate diode wavelength is used for faster healing by decontaminating and biostimulating the tissue. In this way, healthy peri-implant tissue can be maintained by utilizing a non-invasive method.
As a result of this two-step SkyPulse® treatment protocol of the implant surface and the bony implant site, an exceptionally high regenerative rate of alveolar bone is achieved.
Getting Started with Fotona Peri-implantitis Treatment
The Peri-implantitis training programs are organized in cooperation with The Laser and Health Academy (LA&HA). Presentations and discussions are led by LA&HA Lecturers and cover multiple dental therapies. Fotona also works closely with numerous leading international centers for dental laser education, offering additional high level training and webinars to help you on your path to becoming a top laser specialist.
Click here for more information on upcoming workshops and webinars.
For more information on Fotona Peri-implantitis treatment be sure to scroll through our scientific and clinical research library or view the latest LA&HA lectures.