Dental lasers are playing an increasingly important role in periodontology, providing fast, simple and highly effective treatments for procedures such as closed curettage, gingivoplasty, gum pigmentation removal, crown lengthening, and more. Fotona’s dual-wavelength LightWalker® Er:YAG and Nd:YAG dental lasers are the perfect tools for performing the widest variety of laser-assisted periodontal procedures in a minimally invasive, cost-effective manner.
The LightWalker laser system family has been cleared by the FDA for the following periodontal indications:
– Laser-assisted new attachment procedure (cementum-mediated periodontal ligament new-attachment to the root surface in the absence of long junctional epithelium)
– Periodontal regeneration – true regeneration of the attachment apparatus (new cementum, new periodontal ligament, and new alveolar bone) on a previously diseased root surface
– Sulcular debridement or soft tissue curettage (removal of diseased or inflamed soft tissue in the periodontal pocket to improve clinical indices including gingival index, gingival bleeding index, probe depth, attachment loss, and tooth mobility)
- Gingivectomy and gingivoplasty
- Implant recovery
– Sulcular debridement
- Removal of subgingival calculi in periodontal pockets with periodontitis by closed or open curettage
TwinLight® Periodontal Treatment
For treating periodontal disease, Fotona’s TwinLight® Periodontal Treatment (TPT) is a comprehensive and minimally invasive periodontal therapy incorporating the power of dentistry’s two most effective laser wavelengths: Er:YAG and Nd:YAG. The TwinLight® approach enables wavelength-optimized treatments for periodontal therapy (such as WPT™), which create the optimal conditions for healing periodontal tissues. What’s more, TPT prevents infection and promotes reduction in pocket depths.
The TwinLight® procedure is performed in three simple steps:
- Step 1: The Nd:YAG laser removes the diseased epithelial lining of the periodontal pocket and improves access to the root surface.
- Step 2: The Er:YAG laser is used to thoroughly remove microbial biofilm and calculus from the root surface.
- Step 3: The Nd:YAG laser energy is used to coagulate and promote the formation of a stable fibrin clot.
Optimal Wavelength Combination
Utilizing both Er:YAG and Nd:YAG laser wavelengths in a single treatment makes optimum use of the unique laser-tissue interaction characteristics of each wavelength. For example, Nd:YAG laser energy is superior for coagulation and deep disinfection, while Er:YAG is uniquely efficient at gently removing the infected surface tissue and calculus from the root surface. Combined, they can dramatically improve the outcome of laser-assisted treatments, guaranteeing maximum safety and efficacy.
The TwinLight® Periodontal Treatment gives general dentists the confidence to treat their patents’ moderate-to-severe periodontal disease the most effective way possible, without scalpels and sutures.
Fotona’s TwinLight® Periodontal Treatment (TPT) can be performed with the following dual-wavelength laser systems:
LightWalker – a uniquely capable system offering the power of the industry's highest performance Er:YAG and Nd:YAG dental lasers for expanded dual-wavelength treatment options, including the proprietary TwinLight™ Endodontic and Periodontal Treatments. The top-of-the-line LightWalker AT model features the ultimate in convenience and ergonomic comfort, and is the only dental laser system on the market that includes built-in scanner-ready technology.
Fotona’s new line of LightWalker dental lasers are designed for high-speed cavity preparations (usually without anesthetic), virtually all soft-tissue surgical procedures, as well as minimally invasive endodontic and periodontal treatments.
With ultra-fast drilling speeds (outperforming even mechanical burrs) and a broad range of applications from gentle and effective laser tooth whitening to safe and effective laser endodontic and periodontal procedures (that can easily be performed at any dental practice), the new LightWalker lasers have changed many perceptions about laser dentistry. With LightWalker, dental professionals can not only impress their patients with the latest technology, but also dramatically expand their treatment range and income potential.
Handpieces & Accessories
Fotona's specially designed, innovative handpiece technology allows safe, precisely controlled and effective delivery of laser pulses to the treatment area. LightWalker handpieces are made from advanced titanium technology, maximizing their durability and minimizing their weight. More information about handpieces and other accessories is available on the product pages (see above links).